Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hey babe, what's up? Lol. ;)

Texting: A simple alternative to actual human interaction. And the perfect opportunity to always say the right thing. I mean, you have unlimited time to think of that flawless line, to be smooth, witty, and to provoke the response you want. So why, or lord why, is it so hard for some people? It’s simple, you want to hang out? Then just ask. But please, please (we’re begging you) do not do any of the following:



  1. Do not keep texting someone who is not responding. Period. They do not like you. No she didn’t lose her phone. No he didn’t just happen to miss your text. No she’s not that busy. He’s just not that into you. Exhibit A: "Super Loser Seven" (see photo)

  2. Do not text “what’s up?”... what are you asking here? What am I doing? What are my plans for the evening? Did I accidently dial you? You will most likely provoke a response like “nothing much…” which gets both of you nowhere.


  3. Do not text in the language (or slang) of where that person is from. No “aloha”, or “hello mate”, or “konnichiwa”. Just don’t. It’s not cute. And we know you had nothing else to say so that’s what you came up with. Exhibit B: I don’t even know who this is. (see photo)


  4. Do not use a :) ;) :P or any variation of these, repeatedly. Once or twice ok, if you really mean it, but we’re not 14 yr old girls. I get it, you’re happy.


  5. Do not constantly type “lol”. Really? Are you really laughing out loud? I just said I had a long day at work, is that funny to you?


  6. Do not call me “babe”, we just met. I am not your babe. Exhibit C: That was the last time I talked to him... (see photo)


  7. Do not text someone who didn’t give you their number. Seems simple enough. Getting a girl’s number from a friend of a friend is creepy. And some of us didn’t know our number was posted on Foursquare, ok? That doesn’t mean it’s a free for all!


  8. Do not get passive aggressive if you get turned down. It’s not going to help you any. Exhibit D: I tell a boy he’s texting me too much and it’s overwhelming, his response: (see photo)


  9. Do not type everything in abbreviation. “Hey, how r u? Nice mtg u lst nite. We shuld hang sumtime. Mayb 2morw? lol.” How is that attractive in any way? Survey says: get a life. Or better yet, an education.


  10. Do not SPELL incorrectly! You’re and your. Too and to. It’s not hard! This has to be the number one turn off. Really, I took a poll.

1 comment:

  1. A few of these are major pet peeves of mine.

    #2 If you want to know if I want to hang out, just ask!

    #6 I had to recently tell a guy friend not to call me babe. I HATE being called babe, by anyone. It also makes me sick when I hear other people say it.

    #9 Doesn't pretty much everyone have a smart phone these days? It will take about 3 more seconds to actually type the whole word out.

    #10 Don't even get me started.

    ReplyDelete