Friday, May 28, 2010

Thoughts: Sex and the City 2

Ok, so you hate the new SATC for many reasons; it's unrealistic, it makes women look dependant on men, and the consumerism puts Paris Hilton to shame. But let’s face it, some people live like this. Just not you. And I’m so sorry that you can't relate.

Some women never got into SATC, and that's fine. But the beauty of the show is that it portrays all aspects of the modern American woman. The single mother/lawyer Miranda, the married with children and eternally optimistic Charlotte, the promiscuous yet successful Samantha, and the trendy and often monogamous Carrie, whose job and closet I dream of on a daily basis.

Now I’m not going to get into the actual show, but let’s talk about why you hate it.

You think it’s unrealistic: Maybe for you. Many women (people in general) live like this. These women have put so much emphasis on their careers and are simply reaping the rewards. So they’ve chosen not to settle down, who cares? 40 is the new 30.

You think it makes women look dependant on men: Wrong. Miranda is a single mother. Carrie may have gone back to Big… but have you heard of that crazy phenomenon called love? Sometimes two people are just meant to be. And Samantha left longtime love Smith in LA to get her freedom back. Now Charlotte is the only exception since she loves being married, even if it means twice.

You think the consumerism is over the top: Debatable. Yes they shop. A lot. But let’s face it, you’re subconsciously jealous because you can’t do the same. You would kill to look that good in Louboutins and Halston. I would! I’d also kill to drink at the best bars, dine in the best restaurants, and get whisked away to foreign lands. All in time. If anything, just think they're helping the economy.

Basically the movie is about the style, the romanticism, the idealistic. It’s not meant for you to see these women as your bffs. Get over it. Just sit back and admire the beauty of it all.


*Note: I have not seen the movie yet, this response is based on all the commotion around it. But I am seeing it in 2 days and I'm excited.

3 comments:

  1. Preface: I never got into the series, I've only seen about 15 minutes of one episode in college. I have seen the first movie.

    From what I do know about it:

    I love the fashion, I shop(ped) like a fiend myself and can totally appreciate it.

    I agree with your comments on it being (un)realistic. Having a good job as a woman is entirely possible even when you settle down, although it can be awkward when you make more than your sig other since many guys still want to be the "provider".

    I guess my problem is that from what I know/have seen, the way they portray relationships is unrealistic to me. I feel like they live in a fairy tale land. But then again, I have very realistic view of life (too realistic according to my mother), so maybe I just don't get the fantasy aspect of SatC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Claud. I just think getting obsessed with movies/TV in general shows a lack of ones own life. Not interested in fantasy (which is why I also don't like H Potter, etc) more of a realist. I dine at the best restaurants, I date amazing men and I have a kick ass career. I don't shop though (clearly). And I don't respect the fact that every woman seems to defend carrie for taking back big. No one defends me when I go back to my douchey ex (for a night). And he didn't leave me at the altar. If we're talking about specific characters- I don't respect the carrie character in sex and the city- because they try to portray her as being an empowered woman, when she clearly is not. She gives up her self respect for a man. They try to show samantha as being empowered because she has tons of sex- but in actuality she's super lonely and often unfulfilled. And the red haired one settled into a relationship- not empowered. And the perky one- whatever. But its not the characters I object to- its a film/tv show, its not real- what I take issue with is naïve women that idolize this crap and miss the message. You obviously get the message cuz you get that its whimsical and fantasy, but most women dont- and they view these characters as being ideal/empowered, when they're not.

    -kb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree on a couple things you've mentioned KB, one being that the show is not realistic. Some aspects aren't, sure, but if you take away the glamour you simply have 4 friends; One who is happily married, one who settled, one who will never get married, and one who is torn between love and marriage. I think women can relate to at least one of them in that aspect. Also, I think the idealism comes from their lifestyles, not their personal attributes.

    I am not sure how I feel about these women being "empowered" or not. Does rising to the top and never getting married empower you? No, you will end up lonely. Does being successful yet taking a man back make you unempowered? No, it shows the value you place on relationships/love. Which begs me to ask, when is a woman truly "empowered"?

    Side note: Carrie wasn't "left at the alter" per se, Big was outside. And honestly I think it was ridiculous the way they made her freak out on him. My least favorite scene.

    ReplyDelete