Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday Night

So one key to serial dating is not burning yourself out. Which is why, among other reasons, I am home tonight. I took the weekend off to detox, at least that’s what I’m saying until something good comes up. But really, I need to. I have some exciting dates lined up next week and I have to look my best.

I had double booked tonight, but cancelled both. Actually the first I just didn’t confirm. The second however, took a little bit more thought. He asked to come over… with drinks and a movie. So basically he wanted to get me drunk, on my couch. Hmmm… let’s see what’s on his mind. So I responded with “…and board games?”. Cute, friendly, and playing off his obvious intent to get in my bed. His response? “Naked twister?”

Wait. Stop right there. Whaaaat?? Was this guy serious? People still play Twister?

After giving it 2 seconds I immediately cancelled. No. No, that’s a complete lie. After a long struggle, and 2 consults, I decided this was not a good idea. But I wanted to make sure I stayed on his radar, in case I changed my mind, or need to fill 1 of 30 slots next month.

Here is what I said (a few hours later):
“I’m such an idiot. I totally forgot that I told (insert friend's name here) that I’d go to (insert show here). He just reminded me. Rain check? I’ll get the special edition Twister…”


Here is why this works:
1) Make yourself look bad. Most people won't. And he won’t contest.
2) Preferably use a person’s name who he’s met. I used my gay friend. Otherwise say “my friend so-and-so…”. More believable.
3) Say you’re going somewhere you know he won’t show up. I like to use shows (theatre, plays, musicals). That way even if he wanted to go he’d need to buy a ticket. I used Beach Blanket Babylon because of course, there is no way he’d go there.
4) Always rain check.
5) Say something to show you’re into him. Special edition Twister says “if I didn’t have other plans I’d totally be down”


His response:
“No problem. Give me a call later or tomorrow if you want”


And that my friends, was as easy as 1-2-3 (4-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment